Are you looking for a yoga mat to help with your bad knees? If so, you need a thick yoga mat. These mats provide cushioning and support, which can help to reduce pain and discomfort while practicing yoga.
We’ve got you covered! This article will talk about the best yoga mats that are perfect for those with knee pain.
These mats will help improve your practice, but they will also keep your joints safe and protected during your yoga session. So, whether you are a beginner or an experienced yogi, these mats are perfect for you.
Check out our list of the 9 best thick yoga mats for bad knees and find the perfect one!
Can you do yoga with bad knees?
Yes, you can do yoga with bad knees, but you may need to modify some of the poses and use props such as a thick yoga mat to cushion your joints. Before you start a new exercise program, you should also talk to a doctor or physical therapist.
Yoga can be a great way to strengthen the muscles around your knees and improve flexibility, but you should always listen to your body and stop if you feel any pain. Once you get clearance from your doctor, there are plenty of online resources and YouTube videos that can show you how to do modified yoga poses for bad knees.
Read this: Yoga For Knee Pain: 5 Easy Poses To Relieving Pain Quickly
How thick should a yoga mat be for bad knees?
There is no definitive answer to this question since everyone’s needs will be different. However, when it comes to yoga mats for bad knees, a thickness of 1/2 inch to 1 inch is generally considered ideal. This range provides enough cushioning to protect the joints while still allowing for plenty of mobility and stability.
Keep in mind that you may need to experiment with different mat thicknesses to find what works best for you, or you can read our article about the ideal thickness of yoga mat, and always consult with your doctor or physiotherapist before starting any new exercise routine.
How we choose the best for you
Popular products are not always the best. In order to provide our readers with the best recommendations, our team spends hours reading reviews and researching options. It is important to us that whatever product we recommend is worth your time and money.
Whether it’s a high-end model or a budget-friendly option, we carefully consider each yoga mat before recommending it. The best yoga mats for this guide are also selected based on their thickness for bad knees.
We always strive to find products that are both cost-effective and high-quality. Regardless of budget, everyone should be able to find a great yoga mat for knee problems.
What are the best yoga mats for bad knees
If you are struggling with bad knees and want to do yoga, it may be difficult to decide which yoga mat is best for bad knees. Look no further, because we have you covered. These yoga mats will stay in place and provide the support and cushioning you need for a comfortable practice.
1. Best Overall: Liforme Original Yoga Mat
Best Overall: Liforme Original Yoga Mat
- 4.2mm Thick
- Dimensions: 72.83″L x 26.77″W x 0.17″Th
- Easy To Clean
- Patented Alignment System
- 2300+ Amazon Reviews
- Patented “AlignForMe” system helps guide and prevent injuries for yogis of all experience levels.
- Groundbreaking “GripForMe” material provides unparalleled warrior-like grip during your practice.
- Specially engineered eco-polyurethane and rubber materials make this mat PVC-free and biodegradable in 1-5 years in normal landfill conditions.
- Comes with a free yoga bag, making it easy to take your practice on-the-go.
Looking for the best yoga mat for bad knees? Look no further than the Liforme Original Yoga Mat.
This premium yoga mat is designed to optimize your home exercises with its groundbreaking features. With a thickness of 4.2mm, it provides the perfect amount of cushion and comfort for your knees during your practice.
The Liforme Original Yoga Mat also features the patented “GripForMe” material, providing unparalleled grip during your practice, ensuring you don’t slip and slide. Additionally, the mat’s revolutionary “AlignForMe” system helps guide and prevent injuries for yogis of all experience levels.
Not only is the Liforme Original Yoga Mat perfect for your knees, but it’s also eco-friendly and biodegradable, incorporating specially engineered eco-polyurethane and rubber. This means that the mat is PVC-free and will biodegrade in 1-5 years in normal landfill conditions.
To top it all off, the Liforme Original Yoga Mat comes with a free yoga bag, making it the perfect addition to your home practice.
Made by yogis, for yogis, the Liforme Original Yoga Mat is loved and adored by hundreds of thousands of women and men worldwide. It’s the perfect thick yoga mat for bad knees, providing the cushion, grip, and alignment support you need for a comfortable and safe practice. So, invest in this mat today and transform your yoga practice.
- The product is made from high-quality materials that are built to last.
- This mat can be used for multiple purposes and is adaptable to a range of situations.
- The product has an aesthetically pleasing design that will appeal to a wide range of consumers.
- People with bad knees can get the most help from it.
- High price point may deter some potential buyers as it is more expensive than similar products on the market.
2. Best Lightweight: PRIMASOLE Non-Slip Yoga Mat
Best Lightweight: PRIMASOLE Non-Slip Yoga Mat
- Thickness 1/2 Inches
- Dimensions: 68 × 24 inches
- Eco-Friendly Material
- CARRYING CASE AND STRAP
- It is made with the material that does not generate harmful substances.
- Double-layer embossed surface provides stability in every pose and exercise.
- The mat Size is 68 inches length × 24 inches width which is long and wide enough for any body type.
- It comes with the case and strap for easy storage and handling.
Looking for an eco-friendly yoga mat, twin color, nonslip, secure and stable, lightweight, and comes with a carrying case and strap? Look no further than the PRIMASOLE Yoga Mat! Made of eco-friendly material; this great mat is twin colors to provide stability and visual interest. It is nonslip to keep you safe during your practice and lightweight, so you can easily carry it with you.
The total weight of this yoga mat is 3.3 LB. ½ extra (10mm) thick provides comfort and stability. It is one of the Perfect yoga mats for concrete floors or carpet for people with sensitive or injured joints.
Its embossed surface ensures stability during all types of training, and it’s especially perfect for hot yoga, ab crunches, Pilates, yoga floor, and standing yoga poses.
The carrying case and strap make it easy to take your mat with you on the go. And best of all, the PRIMASOLE Yoga Mat is budget-friendly! Primasole yoga mat will be a good yoga mat for your bad knees.
- Best lightweight mat available
- Extra thick
- Made up of eco friendly material
- Can be slippery
3. Best Budget: Amazon Basics Thick Yoga Mat
Best Budget: Amazon Basics Thick Yoga Mat
- 1/2 Inch Extra Thick
- Dimensions: 73.2 x 24.3 x 0.5 inches
- Weight: 990 Grams
- Carrying Strap
- 68,400+ Amazon Reviews
- Cheap Price
- It comes in variety of colors and you can choose from 6 options.
- Extra thick mat for yoga, gym, and everyday exercise.
- Its Textured foam provides enough traction and stability.
- This 1/2 inch thick mat provides extra support, shock-absorption, and comfort.
- It comes with Elastic straps for secured rolled-up and a shoulder strap.
Looking for a top-quality, budget-friendly thick yoga mat that is best for bad knees? Look no further than the Amazon Basics 1/2-Inch Extra Thick Yoga Mat which is the perfect mat for those looking for a bit of extra cushioning during their yoga practice.
This mat is made from high-density foam and is 1/2-inch thick, making it ideal for those with sensitive knees or who simply want a little more support during their practice.
The mat also features a nonslip surface and an elastic strap for easy transport, making it the perfect mat for those on the go.
- 6 color option
- Shock absorption feature
- Easy on pocket
- Excessive use can leave marks on mat
4. Best For Beginners: Spoga Premium Yoga Mat
- Its 71 long 24 wide double padded form ensures comfort for and provides ample surface to cushion your body parts.
- It comes with a strap and can be folded to occupy less space.
- It is best for yoga, pilates and any other exercise.
- The Textured grip keeps your feet steady with its nonslip surface.
- it is made up of moisture-resistant material.
The Spoga Premium 1/2-Inch Extra Thick Yoga Mat is perfect for yoga enthusiasts of all levels. This mat is made of high-density foam and is comfortable and durable yet lightweight and easy to carry. It features a nonslip surface that is easy to clean, making it ideal for use in sweaty yoga classes.
The mat also has moisture-resistant skin that helps prevent slipping and sliding during your practice. For added convenience, the mat comes with a carrying strap for easy transport, and it is one of the best yoga mats for sensitive knees.
- Best mat for beginners
- Textured grip
- Comes with shoulder and carry strap
- Not very grippy
5. Everyday Essentials Extra Thick Yoga Mat
Everyday Essentials Extra Thick Yoga Mat
- 1/2 Inch Thick
- Dimensions: 71 x 24 x 0.5 inches
- Double-Sided Nonslip Surfaces
- Carrying Strap
- Knee Pad Is Included
- 8,000+ Amazon Reviews
- This standard mat is 71″ long, 24″ wide, and 1/2″ thick.
- Its double-sided nonslip surfaces provides extra cushioning.
- It’ll help keeping your balance during any exercise style due to its unmatched resilience.
- It is easy to carry due to an added strap feature.
- It comes with a free yoga mat strap and a knee pad.
The Everyday Essentials 1/2-Inch Extra Thick Yoga Mat is the perfect mat for looking for the best yoga mat for bad knees. This mat is made of high-density foam and is 1/2-inch thick, making it ideal for those with knee discomfort or who simply want a little more support during their yoga practice.
It comes with a regular mat and a knee pad, ensuring comfort for people of all shapes and sizes. Knee pad measures 24″ wide, 10″ long, and 3/5″ thick. Its moisture-resistant technology makes the mat easily washable with soap and water.
The mat also features a nonslip surface, making it safe and easy to use. The mat is easy to clean and comes with a convenient carrying strap for easy transport. It comfortably cushions the spine, hips, knees, and elbows on hard floors.This is one of the most premium yoga mats on the list.
- Comes with knee pad
- High density foam
- Easily washable
- Slips on hard floors
6. BalanceFrom GoCloud All-Purpose Yoga Mat
BalanceFrom GoCloud All-Purpose Yoga Mat
- Thickness: 1 Inch
- Dimensions: 71 x 24
- Weight: 2.2 Pounds
- Double-Sided Nonslip Surface
- Carrying Strap
- Light Weight & Portable
- 15,000+ Amazon Reviews
- It’s 71″ long 24″ wide high density foam ensures comfort for people of all shapes and sizes.
- Its double-sided surfaces are slip-resistant advantage to prevent injuries.
- Moisture-resistant Technology makes the mat easily washed with soap and water.
- Easy to carry as it is lightweight and comes with a strap.
The BalanceFrom GoCloud is the perfect yoga mat for those who want the best thick yoga mat for enough support.
This mat is 1″ extra thick, making it twice as wide as a standard yoga mat. The carrying strap makes it easy to transport, and the nonslip surface ensures that you won’t slip during your practice.
With high-density foam material, this thick premium mat comfortably cushions the spine, hips, knees, and elbows on hard floors.
Its exceptional resilience allows you to keep your balance during any exercise style. The cloud is also lightweight and portable, making it the perfect mat for traveling or taking to the studio. Best of all, it comes with a 2-year warranty, so you can be sure that it will last.
- Slip resistant feature
- Very portable
- 2 year warranty
- Strong smell
7. ProsourceFit Extra Thick Yoga Mat
ProsourceFit Extra Thick Yoga Mat
- Thickness 1 Inch
- Weight: 4.5 Pounds
- Dimension: 71 x 24
- Carrying Strap
- Non Slip
- Its ultra comfort high density foam provides extra protection for sensitive joints.
- It is a water-resistant mat and can be cleaned by using a wet sponge or cloth.
- Its nonslip ribbed design surface provides unmatched stability.
- It comes with a carrying strap.
The ProsourceFit Extra Thick Yoga Mat is the proper yoga mat for beginners and experienced yogis alike. The mat is made from a water-resistant and moisture-resistant material, making it ideal for use in any environment, indoors or outdoors.
Its ribbed design provides good grip and stability for a safe practice
The mat is also nonslip, ensuring that you won’t slip during practice yoga. The extra thick mat provides cushioning and support for your body, making it the perfect mat for any yoga practice. Most importantly, it is the ideal solution for your knee issues.
- Excellent ribbed design
- Unmatchable cushioning
- For inddoor and outdoor use
- Unbearable odour
8. HemingWeigh 1 inch Thick Yoga Mat
HemingWeigh 1 inch Thick Yoga Mat
- Dimensions: 70″L x 23″W x 1″Th
- Eco Friendly
- Easy To Clean
- Non Slip Yoga Mat
- The perfect yoga mat for any type of yoga practice.
- Superior density foam supports your body and prevents injuries.
- Non slip surface keeps you in balance during challenging poses.
- Eco friendly and easy to clean– just wipe with a damp cloth.
- Lightweight and easy to transport.
HemingWeigh’s Thick Yoga Mat is ideal for all types of yoga exercises. It’s made of high-density foam that’s 1 inch thick, so it’s durable and can handle your weight without tearing. With the anti-slip feature, you will stay balanced during your yoga practice, and the wide surface area will allow you to move freely without falling off. Strapping makes it easy to take the mat with you, and the eco-friendly material is easy to clean.
- Dense form for better cushioning
- Non-slip surface
- Hard to tear
- A bit expensive
9. Maximo Fitness Yoga Mat
Maximo Fitness Yoga Mat
- Dimensions: 2.83″L x 0.94″W x 0.04″Th
- Material: Nitrile Butadiene Rubber Foam
- Item Weight: 2.2 Pounds
- Multi Purpose Use
- Non Slip Grip
- The yoga mat is made with high density and premium material for convenient cushioned comfort.
- It is a multi-purpose use mat that is ideal for Pilates, yoga, stretching, sit-ups, press-ups, planks and more.
- The water resistant and non slip design keeps you safe while you work out.
- It comes with a handy carrying strap for easy transportation.
- You can choose from four colors and two sizes.
Looking for a yoga mat that is specifically designed to cushion your knees and joints? Look no further than the Maximo Fitness Yoga Mat! This mat is made from high density, durable NBR foam, and is 0.5 inches thick, providing unbelievable support for all your floor-based exercises. The water-resistant and non-slip design means you can use this mat indoors or outdoors with confidence.
The Maximo Fitness Yoga Mat also comes with its own carrying strap, making it easy to transport to the gym, yoga studio, or anywhere else. And because we know that everyone has their own personal style, the Maximo Fitness Yoga Mat is available in four different colors and two different sizes.
- Made up of rubber
- Ideal for every yoga posture
- Comes in 4 colors
- Becomes slippery once you are sweaty
How to find the best yoga mat for bad knees
There are a few things to consider when shopping for the best yoga mat for bad knees. Thickness is one of the most critical factors. Thicker yoga mats will provide more cushioning and support for your joints, essential if you have knee pain. Look for a mat that is at least 1/2-inch thick. If you can find a 3/4-inch thick mat, that would be even better. Another thing to keep in mind is the material of the mat.
When it comes to yoga mats, thickness is critical – especially if you have bad knees. A minimum half inch thick is ideal, and these seven yoga mats are the best of the best when it comes to thick options. From transportable to extra-padded, there’s something for everyone on this list.
PVC, latex, and natural rubber are great options for yoga mats if you have bad knees. They provide a thick cushion that can help reduce joint pain and inflammation in the knees. However, each type of material has its benefits and drawbacks.
For example, PVC is much cheaper than latex or natural rubber, but it is also not as durable. Latex is very durable but can be more expensive than PVC or rubber. Rubber is somewhere between PVC and latex in terms of price and durability.
Practicing yoga is a wonderful way to improve your overall health and wellness. However, if you have bad knees, finding a thick yoga mat can be crucial to your practice.
One exceptional option for such practitioners is the Liforme Original Yoga Mat. Along with offering a superior level of cushioning and support, this mat features a unique alignment system to help improve your posture and balance during various yoga poses.
The other mats we reviewed in this post are all excellent options that provide the extra cushioning and support your knees need.
But why stop at just the mat? If you’re looking to take your yoga practice to the next level and achieve your fitness goals, you might want to check out Yoga Burn.
This program is designed specifically for women and uses Dynamic Sequencing to help you build a shapely, feminine body while improving your overall health and well-being.
Plus, you can do it all from the comfort of your own home, no gym or studio required. So why not give it a try and see what kind of transformation you can achieve?
Ready to transform your body and achieve your fitness goals? Click the link to learn more about Yoga Burn and start your 12-week challenge today!
Investing in a quality yoga mat and program like Yoga Burn can help you get the most out of your practice and reach your fitness goals while taking care of your knees. So don’t let bad knees hold you back, start your yoga journey today!
Why Is Kundalini Yoga Dangerous: The Risks and Dangers You Need to Know
Liforme vs Manduka Yoga Mat | Which One Is Better In 2023?
7 Best Fitness Trackers for Yoga in 2023 | Reviewed
6 Best Space Heaters for Hot Yoga at Home In 2023 | Reviewed
Can a thick yoga mat help to prevent injuries?
A thick yoga mat can help to prevent injuries by providing extra cushioning and support. Thicker mats will usually provide more cushioning and support than thinner mats, which is why they are often recommended for people who are new to yoga or who have a history of injuries. However, it’s important to note that not all mats are created equal – some are thicker than others, and some provide more cushioning and support than others.
Is there any special yoga mat just for bad knees?
While there isn’t a special yoga mat specifically designed for bad knees, there are some mats that are better suited for people with knee pain. One such option is the Liforme Original Yoga Mat, which is known for its exceptional grip and cushioning. With its extra-thick layer of natural rubber, the Liforme mat provides excellent support for sensitive knees.
Can yoga aggravate knee pain?
Yes, certain yoga poses can put stress on the knees and aggravate knee pain. It’s important to modify poses and use props like blocks or blankets to support the knees and avoid putting too much pressure on them.
Should I avoid yoga altogether if I have bad knees?
No, you don’t need to avoid yoga altogether if you have bad knees. Many yoga poses can actually help alleviate knee pain by strengthening the muscles around the knee joint. However, it’s important to work with a qualified yoga teacher who can help you modify poses and use props as needed.
What should I look for in a yoga mat if I have bad knees?
If you have bad knees, you should look for a yoga mat that provides plenty of cushioning and support. Thick mats are generally better for this purpose, as they provide more cushioning than thin mats. Look for mats made from materials like TPE or rubber, which are particularly good at absorbing shock and providing support.
Which yoga poses are best for bad knees?
There are many yoga poses that can be helpful for bad knees, including:
- Child’s pose: This gentle pose can help stretch the knees and relieve tension in the legs.
- Triangle pose: This pose can help strengthen the legs and improve flexibility in the hips and hamstrings, which can help take pressure off the knees.
- Warrior II pose: This pose can help strengthen the legs and improve overall stability, which can be beneficial for people with knee pain.
- Tree pose: This pose can help improve balance and stability, which can be particularly important for people with knee pain.
- 7 Benefits of Using a Fitness Tracker For Yoga Practice
- Liforme vs Manduka Yoga Mat | Which One Is Better In 2023?
- 9 Best Fitness Trackers for Yoga in 2023 | Reviewed
- 6 Best Space Heaters for Hot Yoga at Home In 2023 | Reviewed
- 7 Best Humidifiers For Hot Yoga At Home in 2023 | Reviewed
- What is Slow Flow Yoga: Everything You Need To Know!
- What to Bring to Hot Yoga
- Why is Alo Yoga So Expensive?
- 3mm vs 5mm Yoga Mat: Which One Is Better?
- Should I Do Yoga Before or After a Workout: Everything You Need To Know!
- What Is Yoga Alignment: Everything You Need To Know
- What is Yoga Sculpt: Everything You Need To Know
- 9 Amazing Yoga Wheel Benefits
- 7 Best Yoga Mats For Concrete Floors In 2023 | Ultimate Buying Guide
- How Long To Hold A Yoga Pose: A Beginner’s Guide (2023)
- 10 Incredible One-legged Yoga Poses to Challenge Your Balance
- How To Do Simple Yoga Postures For Neck and Shoulder Pain
- 7 Yoga Postures to Avoid During Pregnancy (2023)
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This helps support our website and lets us continue to provide you with helpful content. Thank you for your support!